It’s not rocket science!
UN has declared 2014 the « International Year of Crystallography ».
For this occasion, and as a part of Kulturnatt, the scientific department of the Institut français de Suède is launching its first annual photo contest!
This initiative highlights the beauty of science, a stunning spectacle that only researchers get to see every day.
Crystallography is at the juncture of many disciplines: physics, chemistry, materials science, metallurgy, mathematics, but also biology and medicine, or earth sciences. In short, and according to UNESCO, it is « the basis of all new materials ranging from toothpaste to aircraft components . » The range of your possibilities is huge!
This competition is an opportunity for students and researchers to present their work through original images and for scientists to present elements of their research to the general public.
How to participate?
Send the following to the email address below:
- A photograph taken by you in the course of the academic year 2013-2014
- A short caption ( ± 150 words) answering the following questions :
- What is the picture about?
- What are the characteristics and properties of the crystal photographed?
- What impact does this material have in your research or your discipline?
- What is/are the potential application-s- of this image?
Please note: Your caption should apply to a broad public! Please use accessible language and avoid using only specialized vocabulary.
What is the Prize?
- The winners will receive a photography course from Folkuniversitet.
- Their photos will be printed in a large scale, professional format.
- All eligible entries will be presented in a slideshow during Kulturnatt, at the French ambassador’s residence to an audience of over 3000 people.
Competition deadline is the March 31st, 2014,
Please send your entry to: communication(at)institutfrancais-suede.com